Headquartered at Willis Tower in Chicago, Illinois, United Airlines or United, is one of the top-largest airlines in the world. It was founded about 93 years ago in the year 1926, which also makes it one of the oldest airlines around the globe. To book United Airlines reservations, you can visit the airline’s official website. After filling all the required information, such as the number of passengers, travel date, and the departing airport, you will be available to view all the available flights to your desired destination. With a fleet size of 789 aircraft, the airline flies to over three hundred destinations spanning across 48 countries and five continents.
United Airlines Check-In Options
United Airlines provides you with many ways to do the check-in for your flights:
- You can do the web check-in for your flights by visiting the airline’s official website.
- You can either login by using your MileagePlus number and password or entering your e-ticket number and last name.
- You can perform the web check-in starting 24 hours till 30 minutes before your domestic flights’ scheduled departure time in case you do not have to check-in any baggage. When traveling within the U.S. with checked baggage, the facility is available up to 45 minutes before your flight’s take-off time.
- Please note the facility is not available to and from all international destinations and varies as per your departing airport.
- Another convenient way to do this is by using the United mobile app on your smartphone. It is available for both Android as well as Apple device users.
- After downloading the app on your smartphone, navigate to the flight check-in option, and fill in your confirmation number and last name to perform the process.
- With the app, you can get a link to your mobile boarding pass on your email, which you can show at the time of security checkpoint. There is no need to print your mobile boarding pass for your United flights reservations.
Self-service Kiosk and Check-In Counter
- In case you missed out on doing web or mobile check-in, you still have the option to avail of the service at your departing airport on the self-service kiosk.
- You can use your credit card, United MileagePlus frequent flyer card, passport, six-character United confirmation number, or 13-digit e-ticket number to do the check-in at the airport kiosk.
- If you face any problem or need assistance, a United representative will be available to help you with the process.
- Using the self-service kiosk, you can do this process and print your boarding pass, change your flight for same-day travel, find alternate flights, etc.
- Alternatively, you can also visit a nearby counter to do the check-in for your flights.
What is the United Airlines Baggage Policy?
Before confirming the United Airlines reservations, it’s important to know their baggage policy, including the size/weight limits and restrictions.
You are allowed to bring one full-size carry-on bag and one personal item for free on board. However, you must ensure that the bag should fit in the overhead bin. The maximum size limit for a carry-on bag, including wheels and handles, are 9” x 14” x 22” (or 22 x 35 x 56 centimeters). Your personal item should not measure more than 9” x 10” x 17” (or 22 x 25 x 43 centimeters) and must be kept underneath the seat in front of you. Apart from your one carry-on bag and personal item, you can also bring items, such as a camera, an umbrella, or reading material.
Please note if you are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket, you are allowed to bring only one personal item on the flight.
When you check your bags, the airline charges a service fee for your first itinerary’s first segment as per its dimensions and weight. In the case of airline tickets United Airlines, you can calculate this amount using the baggage calculator online. You are allowed to check your baggage as standard if it does not exceed the maximum linear length of 62 inches or 158 cm, including wheels and handles. Also, when traveling on a United Economy, it should not weigh more than 50 lbs. or 23 kg.
For United Business, First, and Polaris Business Class, the maximum weight limit allowed for checked baggage is 70 lbs. or 32 kg. The same weight limit applies to the MileagePlus Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K, or Star Alliance Gold members. However, there are some restrictions, which apply to active U.S. military personnel and their dependents.
If your baggage exceeds the limits and restrictions given above, additional service charges will apply. The maximum oversized luggage, which can be checked, should have a linear length of not more than 115” (or 292 cm) and must weigh over 100 lbs. or 45 kg. Musical instruments not heavier than 165 pounds or 75 kg will be accepted as overweight. The airline recommends keeping perishable, high-value items, such as art, electronic item, flowers and plants, jewelry, and silverware, with yourself instead of checked baggage.
United Airlines In-flight Entertainment and Magazine
When onboard, you can take the benefit of the all-new seatback entertainment of United Airlines reservations. Using this facility, not only you can enjoy movies, TV shows, audio, and games, but also you can view the real-time information of your flight. Moreover, you can also see the current weather conditions of your destination or plan things to do on your trip.
The airline gives you the option to enjoy entertainment on your personal devices, such as Android smartphones and tablets, Apple devices, and laptops. Using the DIRECTV service, you get access to more than 100 TV channels and a selection of the latest Hollywood movies free of cost.
Also, in case you have forgotten to bring your own headphones, you can notify and request for one to the airline. The airline then shortly provides you with complimentary earbuds. However, please note this facility is only available on select flights, and the earbuds are subject to availability.
During your leisure time onboard, you can grab and go through United Airlines’ in-flight magazine- Hemispheres. It features the latest and interesting articles on global business trends, travel, sports, and entertainment. You can visit the unitedmags.com website to read all the newest and exciting posts on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop.